8 Back facts you should know!bassendean-admin
1. Back Pain is common: back pain is often painful and can be very alarming but is common and rarely dangerous. 84% of the population will experience back pain at one point.
2. The back is a robust structure and is designed to bend / tolerate load: Your back is one of the strongest structures in your body and it’s meant to move and tolerate load in different positions. As most physio like to say, “motion is lotion” as movement is good for the back itself.
3. Exercise is good for back pain! In most cases exercise is the best form of treatment for low back pain, and this is backed up with the latest evidence. It’s important to keep active whilst having back pain.
4. Getting old does NOT causes low back pain – Research shows that back pain and age are not correlated which is a common misconception.
5. Your back is NOT out of alignment: This is a common belief that people think your back “is out of place” or “slipped”. There are many strong structures that hold the back together.
6. Pain doesn’t equate to injury: You can have back pain without physical injury as pain is influenced by many factors like: social, psychological, health and lifestyle factors. These can provide the feeling of increased pain when you aren’t causing harm to your back.
7. Scans and imaging don’t always show the cause: scans can provide important information, but this is for a small group. Many of the terminology used to describe scans is scary-sounding but a lot of the language used is very common in people without back pain.
8. Back pain gets better!!!!: You can injury your back like most other body parts, but it can resolve.
Targeted treatment from our Physiotherapist team can provide the confidence for you to return to your activities earlier and aim to prevent symptoms from occurring again.